Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Family

    Family? Family is something I found very interesting coming from an Filipino I find there are may similarities among each family. Many Filipino families are strict especially when they come from the Philippines and its even worst when they come to America and rise their children here expecting everything to be the same. For first hand experience I found that being first generation raised in the U.S was very difficult. I had to deal with all my friends not having so many rules when I was raised with very many. I wasn’t allowed to hang out with friends outside of school. I also wasn’t allowed to go to sleepovers. The number one rule was that I wasn’t allowed to have a boyfriend. On top of all the rules I had a lot of chorus. I had to clean all the time. In school my parents had a high expectation from me they wanted me to have high grades. Life in a Filipino home was very stressful. Despite all the hard times me and my family had I still find that my childhood as a very fun way to grow up. I really miss having such a close family and close time spending time with them. It makes me sad when I look back on how much things change. Now I live with a really different family, I live with a family that is only close with immediate family they are not that close when it comes to family members outside in addition to this they are second generation born in the united states so they are raised a lot differently. They don’t have as many rules and don’t have as many chorus. I hate to say this but I find their generation a bit lazy. I wonder how my life would be today if I was raised the same way. I wonder if my life would have had a lot more experiences or what I would have been through if my parents where not as old fashion as they were. 

4 comments:

  1. I agree! My grandparents were from Mexico and taught me the value of hard work at an early age. I always think I am a better person because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every generation has to choose to hold on to their parenting traditions or let them fade. I am the third generation of my family born in the U.S. I think part of it is that life was more physical in my grandma's childhood. Today kids take a lot of things for granted that just weren't there fifty years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really have had a chance to see the concept of what a family is from many different viewpoints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too had strict parents but i got used to it it made me appreciate things a lot more but your luckyy because it made you the person you are now :)

    ReplyDelete